Friday, January 27, 2006

Was that me????


I open my eyes and I’m standing alone in the middle of the dark corridor. How did I get here I ask myself. What time is it? The corridor is empty, the entire hostel is asleep. How did I get here? Did I sleep walk? God I’m scared. I need to get back to my room to bed.

I lie there on my bed all alone. Frightened. What if some day I get up in the middle of the night and don’t know where I am. Alone on a dark winding road which is unfamiliar to me. Alone in my night pyjamas. No money. No phone. No nothing. What if?


What if in my sleep I walk to my balcony, and jump. I don’t know who I am or what I can do when I’m sleep walking. Is it the same Charlene? Or someone else walking?
Is it me who decides what I do when I’m sleep-walking or it some third person in me who’s trying to break free.

Will it ever end? How do I know it’s the end? What if I don’t remember where I’ve been last night sleep-walking? Who’s this person in me who wants to explore? Who wants to get out? Is she a dormant side of me who gets her way at night when I have no control of my body? Or do I have control of my body? I don’t know.

No comments: