Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Chocolate Anonymous


What are Addictions ?!! Drugs, Sex, Alcohol, Smoking, .......and chocolate !!!Yes Chocolate ...........How can I speak with authority and say its an addiction and not just a sweet-tooth craving of mine? Let me tell you my story.

I doubt I ate that much chocolate and candy as a kid. As a matter of fact I used to have food allergies most of my growing years and couldn't have milk or even chocolate or any colored food items at one point. So es I was a deprived kid..no candy floss, no chocolates :( but i survived.

But I'm making up for it completely over the last five years :) I eat a lot of chocolates. And when I say a lot, I mean 'A LOT'.To give you an indication - any chocolate bar or box I open I can finish the entire thing in one sitting :)

Now I come back to the story of telling you when I knew I was addicted. Little more than a year ago I decided to lose 12 kgs of extra weight I had gained on the job and started a strict exercise and diet regime and obviously the first food item to go off my diet was 'Chocolate'!

When I sat down with my dietician, I pleaded her to add a little chocolate wherever she could in my daily
diet and she said she'll try. But to my dissapointment at my next appointment with her, I saw my diet sheet and she's added 'Kelloggs Chocos' for breakfast as an option. Are you serious? Chocos?! I hate Chocos! That's not even chocolate. And first thing in the morning chocolate? naah my cravings start in the evening only specially after dinner.

Then I asked her optionally when is the best time of the day she feels I can have a piece of chocolate if I have to. And her response was just immediately after my workout since the body will digest the chocolate almost immediately. Are you seriously telling me that after an hour of a tiring and vigorous workout I'm gonna stuff my face with chocolates? That's the only time I'm 100% motivated to eat right.

Phew ... bottom line I couldn't have chocolate ! My chocolate consumption from a couple of boxes a week had to reduce to 1-2 square pieces of chocolate in a week :( The first 2 weeks were the worst. I questioned life. I questioned my existence on this planet. Was it all really worth it? That's when I realized I was addicted!
"An addiction can be cured " I told myself. Maybe there is a 'Chocolate Anonymous' in Mumbai. Let me google it. Yeee there is one 'Chocolate Anonymous' ...ohhh wait.. thats a name of a chocolate shop ! WHat!??!? This is not happening to me.

Anyways eventually I almost stopped having chocolates for THREE whole months and I did manage to lose my target weight of 12 kgs :) After I reached my target then I started to have a little chocolate in my diet but reduced the quantity drastically. I'm still addicted but a controlled chocolate addict ;)


No comments: